free site statistics
How to make beer: Why would anyone want to know how to make beer?

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Why would anyone want to know how to make beer?

My wife asked me this question last night, and I was able to think of a number of reasons why someone would want to make their own beer at home, as opposed to just going to the store and buying whatever commercially available beer happens to be around.

Well, although there are lots of pre-made products in our grocery and big-box stores, we as consumers tend to make a lot of the things we consume, using ingredients purchased at these stores, why should beer be any different?

Brewing beer (or making wine) at home is a hobby, much like cooking any other food or drink product, that requires special equipment, extra time, patience and skill. Arguably, once you have the equipment to make beer, your costs from that point on will be low, and you can enjoy the fact that you will make a product that you will be proud of, and can share with your friends.

Comparing making beer at home to fishing, making beer will come out far more inexpensive and yield a much larger catch, than my favorite of all sports. But, to me, fishing isn't about catching fish, it's about appreciating the outdoors. Catching fish is just a bonus. If I make beer, I know what I'm going to end up with, and don't have to fight mosquitoes to get any.

So, I guess the answer to my wife's question is this:

  • There is no excuse but sheer enjoyment for the pursuit of a hobby

  • To demonstrate your brewing skill and creativity

  • It is fun

  • You can share it with your friends

  • It is a low cost craft or hobby



It's time for a beer.

No comments: